Nielsen Chemicals is committed to conducting business in an ethically and socially responsible manner, as well as ensuring the effective management of environmental issues. We are focused on sustainable development in order to meet the needs of the present without compromising future generations.
One of the primary ways in which we can help our customers achieve the same objectives is by minimising their chemical usage. All Nielsen products are of a high quality and simply require the application of less product to complete the task. Additionally, most of our range can be provided as a concentrate to which water is added, saving unnecessary transport and packaging; ensuring that delivery of the most commonly used chemicals is completed with the minimum environmental impact.
We have been accredited to ISO14001 since 2010. However, we have not let our efforts rest there and the following is a list of commitments implemented across our business:
• Select and formulate ingredients to ensure safety and optimise the sustainability of our finished product during its lifecycle
• Fully comply with all applicable EU Regulations to ensure that our products are safe for people and the environment
• Review human and environmental safety aspects of our ingredients and select materials to find the optimum balance between effectiveness, safety and environmental impact
• Offer water based products as an alternative to solvent based and provide concentrated professional products to reduce our environmental impact
• Our purchasing team is tasked to ensure that all paper based products are from FSC sources, that we use recycled material wherever possible and ensure that all packaging and components are able to be recycled
• We are rigorous in ensuring that we minimise raw material and finished product waste
• Reduce our consumption of energy and water further, having reduced our energy consumption per unit by 75% in the first three years of this objective
• Implemented measures to control our emissions of solvent waste by using waste companies that recycle or re-use waste solvent as a raw material in other industries
• Reduce aerosol waste by reclaiming 100% of waste aerosols for both tin-plate and aluminium and ensuring that any residual content can be reclaimed
• Optimise the efficient and safe use of chemicals and minimise our water use
• Continually improve and comply with all company accreditations
• We are registered and monitored to IPPC/EPR by the UK Environment Agency
• Water usage is measured and monitored, together with electricity and fuel oil, both of which have seen reductions of 40%+ in use per unit of manufacture
• We have installed lighting with sensors to ensure energy is used only when required
• All employees, regardless of department, are tasked to reduce the environmental impact of our operations
• An Energy and Environment Team work with all employees to reduce waste and identify further ways to reduce our carbon footprint
• All employees are active in ensuring that all waste paper and cardboard are recycled
Please contact Nielsen directly for copies of our accreditation certificates, or further details on any aspect of our environmental policy.
At Nielsen we take our commitment to social and environmental responsibility seriously and that is truly represented by the introduction of PBCA technology for many of our aerosols. In place of using traditional flammable or high Global Warming Potential (GWP) propellants many Nielsen aerosols are powered simply by compressed air. The use of air delivers a huge reduction in carbon footprint and does not require a gas to be manufactured, transported or stored. Furthermore, the elimination of flammable gas yields significant improvement in safety. A genuinely green answer for the 21st century – and Nielsen is the first company in the world to offer such products.
• 42,000 trees planted
• Mix of oak, ash and birch
• Creating over 50 acres of new woodland
• Development of new habitats
• Parkland, grassland and wetland.
As part of our commitment to the environment we have signed a contract to support The National Forest’s latest five-year development in Boothorpe, which will see the transformation of a 38-hectare site. The sponsorship agreement will see a total of 42,000 trees planted by 2015 at The National Forest’s Boothorpe site, which will also include parkland, grasslands and wetlands.
The National Forest area covers 200 square miles of the counties of Leicestershire, Derbyshire and Staffordshire. Its objective is to increase woodland cover within its boundaries from an initial six per cent to about a third. We chose to support the local organisation not only because our 16-acre manufacturing site is located within the heart of The National Forest, but also, the local scheme will allow our employees to engage in the project directly and learn about the impact on the local area.
We have invested a lot of time in identifying our carbon footprint, and we are actively working to reduce our consumption. We are focussed on sustainable development in order to meet the needs of the present, without compromising future generations”.
• Social accountability
• Sustainable development
• Environmental commitments
We recognise our responsibility for the conditions under which our goods are manufactured ensuring that the process does not involve any abuse of human rights and that working conditions are safe and fair wages are paid. Nielsen Chemicals relies on the skills and talents of its employees and the goodwill of our communities. We embrace the principles of sustainable development, operating safely in an environmentally and socially responsible manner. We comply with all legal requirements as a minimum, following clear standards of business conduct and ethical behaviour.
We actively work to reduce our environmental impact, our energy usage and waste.